Creating a Self-Service Experience
With over 80 years industry experience, Iplex Pipelines are Australia’s leading manufacturer and supplier of pipeline products to the water and gas industries.
Heavily dependent on their contact centre, which only operates nine-to-five, Iplex had been evaluating "off-the-shelf" options for a trade customer portal that would allow them to conduct more of their business online, 24/7. It was hoped the portal would also result in reduced calls and emails to sales and service teams. Iplex wasn’t confident the options presented would deliver the Human Experience they desired, so contracted Apolinar to partner with them on creating an outstanding result.
Working closely with the Iplex Pipelines as a trusted Human Experience and technology partner we:
- Assessed and analysed their existing strategy, research and insights.
- Conducted internal stakeholder interviews at their head office in Brisbane to get input on requirements from across different teams in the organisation.
- Facilitated a five-day Co-Design Sprint with design-thinking workshops to challenge the team to imagine the options for a new Human Experience on desktop, tablet, and mobile for their trade customers.
- Delivered an interactive prototype for the new web app in a day.
- Conducted end-user testing interviews with trade customers and frontline staff in person and remotely across multiple customer segments and States to get feedback and validate the decisions made in the workshops, and help refine the prototype for a better Human Experience.
- Created a digital style guide and design system for the new portal.
- Developed a world-class web app optimised for mobile, tablet, and desktop devices using Angular2.
- Worked in close partnership with Iplex's internal team on integration with their JDE ERP system.
The Results: Greater Efficiency and Happier Customers
- In just three weeks, the Iplex Pipelines team had a prototype for the first version of the new Iplex Portal, used to align stakeholders and gain Board support for the next phase of delivery.
- The user testing feedback from plumbers and frontline staff focussed the delivery team on the features that needed to be prioritised and allowed for rapid improvement.
- The pilot rollout had minimal changes due to Apolinar's work in engaging customers and validating the Human Experience during the first week of our engagement, saving Iplex time and money.
- Apolinar set up a DesignOps pipeline, Digital Style Guide and produced high-fidelity designs, which developers used to rapidly commence development following the Co-Design workshop.
- Post-COVID-19, the app is helping Iplex's continued success by allowing trade customers to order and manage fulfillment, including contactless pick-up and delivery, and has become critical to the ongoing success of both Iplex and their customers' businesses.